PEATLANDS PROJECT MANAGER
The Peatlands Project Manager will monitor the progress of Natural Climate Solutions (NCS) Prototyping Project activities in tropical peatlands (Brazil and Indonesia). NCS offer nature-based climate change mitigation through protection, sustainable management, and restoration of forests, wetlands, grasslands, and agricultural lands. As part of a larger learning network at TNC, the NCS Prototyping Network, they will connect and regularly engage with global teams and similar projects in multiple global geographies to share information and support peer-to-peer learning.
This includes the following functions:
- Liaise and develop strategic partnerships with relevant agencies, academic partners, conservation organizations, and/or the private sector.
- Work closely in collaboration with scientists, finance staff, and TNC and YKAN partners.
- Develop and implement workplans, manage grants, contracts, and project budgets.
- Manage and facilitate effective discussion among partners, to implement program and deliver science products.
- Conduct regular project monitoring, facilitate, and actively participate regular meetings related to project implementation and monitoring.
- Support the development and implementation of NCS research, especially in the context of the NCS Prototyping Network.
The Peatlands Project Manager reports to Forest Carbon and Climate Specialist and is based in Jakarta.
- BA/BS degree in related field (such as forestry management, natural resources management, biology, conservation, etc.) with 5 years of experience in conservation practice or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience managing staff, project, workloads, and finances under deadlines.
- Supervisory experience, including motivating, leading, setting objectives and managing performance.
- Experience in partnership development with non-profit partners, community groups and/or government.
- Fluency in oral and written both Bahasa Indonesia and English.
The Peatlands Specialist provides technical and scientific support for restoration initiatives in tropical peatlands to help fill critical knowledge gaps and contribute to larger-scale expansion of Natural Climate Solutions (NCS). NCS offer nature-based climate change mitigation through protection, sustainable management, and restoration of forests, wetlands, grasslands, and agricultural lands. The Peatland Specialist works in close collaboration with other staff and partnerships in supporting the guidance, design, and implementation of research, impact analysis, assessment of co-benefits, and the analysis of carbon mitigation potential for nature-based solutions projects. The Peatland Specialist will provide scientific, technical, and project management support and leadership that contributes to a better understanding of the peatland ecosystem and the climate change mitigation potential for this NCS pathway.
This includes the following functions:
- Conduct scientific GHG and carbon stock research, record data, write reports and in charge for monitoring, evaluation, and learning of the project.
- Liaise with and develop strategic partnerships with local communities, relevant agencies, academic partners, conservation organizations, and/or the private sectors.
- Contribute to and build science capacity both for the program but also for TNC by actively engaging and contributing to the NCS Prototyping Network.
- Lead and support the establishment of monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) frameworks that provide knowledge to develop conservation strategies
- The Peatland Specialist reports to the Forest Carbon and Climate Specialist and is based in Jakarta.
- At least Master’s degree in environmental science, climate, environmental engineering, natural resource management. forestry or related field, and at least 2 years of related work experience in science, research and/or equivalent combination of education/experience.
- Experience on peatlands or wetlands
- Experience collecting, manipulating, analyzing and interpreting scientific data, spatial analysis and/or GIS.
- Experience preparing reports and publication of findings.
- Experience working with partners/government agencies and the private sector.
- Fluency in oral and written Bahasa Indonesia and English.
Please send your CV and application letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, and please insert the position title you are interested to apply on the subject line.